Last Updated May 25, 2012
This Policy does not apply to websites and services that display or link to different privacy policies. Websites and services co-branded with other partners may display or link to a joint privacy statement or separate privacy statements of our partners in addition to our Policy. By accessing the Sites or utilising the Services, you hereby consent to the use of your information, including your personal information, in the manner described in this Policy. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, you authorise Starbucks to transmit your information outside of the United Kingdom in the manner and for the purposes described in this Policy.
What Type of Information Does Starbucks Collect?
Personal Information that may be collected by Starbucks may include:
- Name, postal address, phone number, and e-mail address.
- Financial account information, such as credit card number and other payment information.
We may also collect information about you such as:
- If you create an account - your username, password, your city of birth, your birthday and mobile phone number.
- If you buy goods at our stores or through our programmes or otherwise - what you buy, where you buy, how frequently you buy and rewards you earn.
- If you use our mobile applications to buy goods using a Starbucks Card - information such as your device ID, your location and stores near you and visited by you may be collected.
- If you take a survey or interact with us in various other ways - demographics information and information about subjects that may interest you.
Automatic data collection via Cookies and Web Beacons
The Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) (Amendment) Regulations 2011 requires that Cookies can only be placed on a computer where you have given your express consent. You can choose to allow Cookies when you first access www.starbucks.co.uk, if you do not allow Cookies they will not be placed on your computer. If you choose not to allow Cookies or to remove or reject Cookies, it will affect many features or Services on our Sites.
Types of Cookies we use
Strictly Necessary Cookies
These cookies are essential in order to enable you to move around the website and use its features, such as accessing secure areas of the website and fulfilling requests you make on the Site.
- To remember that you are logged in.
- To remember what you enter on forms as you navigation from page to page.
- To store the contents of your shopping cart during the check-out process.
Example Usage: ASP.NET Session Cookies
Cookie Name: ASP.NET_SessionId
Cookie Value: a23SzP23efwsdfZsewf
Cookie Host: starbucks.co.uk
These cookies collect information about how you use a website, for instance which pages you go to most often, and if you get error messages from web pages. These cookies don’t collect information that identifies you personally. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. This information is only used to improve how our Sites work.
- To measure the effectiveness of our site's content and navigation
- To test different versions of our site design or content
- To measure the effectiveness of advertising
Example Usage: A\B Testing Tools
Cookie Name: optimizelyEndUserId
Cookie Value: oeu13131823we.6654660628934
Cookie Host: starbucks.co.uk
These cookies allow the website to remember choices you make (such as your user name, language or the region you are in) and provide enhanced, more personal features. These cookies can also be used to remember changes you have made to text size, fonts and other parts of web pages that you can customise. The information these cookies collect may be anonymised and they cannot track your browsing activity on other websites.
- To remember what language version of the site you selected
- To allow you to comment on a blog
- To allow you to watch videos
Example Usage: Cookie Preference
Cookie Name: SupportCookies
Cookie Value: TRUE
Cookie Host: starbucks.co.uk
Targeting or Advertising Cookies
These cookies are used by third parties such as social networks and advertisers to provide services in return for recognising that you have visited our Site. They are usually placed by advertising networks with the website operator's permission. They remember that you have visited our Sites and this information is shared with third party organisations such as advertisers. Quite often targeting or advertising cookies will be linked to site functionality provided by the third party organisation.
- To allow "Like" buttons and "Share" buttons to work
- To collect information about your browsing habits and share it with other websites so they can display advertising that is more relevant to you
Example Usage: Segmentation Targeting
Cookie Name: uid
Cookie Value: 728bd305-7321-3232-94d6-02ea099daa
Cookie Host: segment-pixel.invitemedia.com
Web beacons are electronic images that may be used on our Sites or in our emails. We use Web beacons to deliver cookies, count visits, understand usage and campaign effectiveness and to tell if an email has been opened and acted upon. We may also use Local Shared Objects (Flash cookies). To identify Local Shared Objects on your computer and adjust your settings, visit: www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager.html.
Starbucks may also collect aggregated data or anonymised data that does not directly identify you. This is not personal data for the purposes of the Act and is therefore not subject to this Policy.
We may combine information we collect about you with information we receive from third parties.
How Does Starbucks Use Information About You?
Starbucks may use information about you for purposes described in this Policy or disclosed to you on our Sites or with our Services. For example, we may use information about you to:
- Process and manage your purchase and use of Starbucks products and services, including your accounts and programme participation.
- Respond to your customer service inquiries, post your comments or statements on any blog or other online forum maintained on our Sites, or take other actions in response to your inquiries or other Site activities.
- Create personalised promotions by combining your personal information with non personal information about you, such as the amounts and types of purchases you make or any benefits you receive through our programmes.
- Communicate with you by post, telephone, email and SMS about your orders or purchases, your services, accounts and programme participation, a contest or sweepstakes you have entered, and your requests for information.
- Communicate with you by post, telephone, email and SMS about our brands, products, events or other promotional purposes, including co-branded offers.
- Communicate carefully selected third party (including affiliate and partner) offers by post or by electronic means where you have expressly opted to receive such material.
Does Starbucks Share Personal Information with Third Parties?
Starbucks shares your personal information in limited ways.
- We may share personal information about you with others with your consent.
- We may also share information with companies that provide support services to us (such as credit card processors, mailing houses or website hosts) and that help us market our products and services (such as email vendors). These companies may use information about you to perform their functions on our behalf.
- We may share information with Starbucks Corporation or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates in order to perform certain Services that you utilise or request to utilise, to process Starbucks Card transactions, or to provide you with other functionality, features or benefits of the Sites.
- If you participate in any blog or other online forum on our Sites, any personal information that you post on our Sites may be shared with other forum participants and Site visitors.
- In the event of a merger, acquisition, financing, or sale of assets or any other situation involving the transfer of some or all of our business assets, Starbucks may disclose personal information to those involved in the negotiation or transfer.
We may also share aggregated or anonymised information that does not directly identify you.
What Choices Does Starbucks Offer About Personal Information?
Starbucks offers choices for you to request to update or change your personal information and how we communicate with you. Here are some of the ways you can request changes:
- Follow the opt-out instructions in promotional emails we send you.
- Log in to your Starbucks.co.uk account, if you have one, and visit the profile management section to manage your contact information (SMS text, email and postal address) preferences and to update your personal information.
- Call 020 8834 5050.
If you opt out of receiving promotional communications from us, we may still send you non-promotional communications such as emails about your accounts or our ongoing business relations.
You have the right, under section 7 of the Act, to access information we hold about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act by writing to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by postal mail at Starbucks Customer Care, Starbucks Coffee Company, Building 4 Chiswick Park, 566 Chiswick High Road, London, W4 5YE. Any subject access request may be subject to a small statutory fee to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
How is Personal Information Secured?
Starbucks takes reasonable steps to maintain appropriate physical, technical and administrative security to help prevent loss, misuse, unauthorised access, disclosure or modification of personal information.
While we take these reasonable efforts to safeguard your personal information, no system or transmission of data over the Internet or any other public network can be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
Questions and Feedback
We welcome your questions, comments and concerns about privacy.
Starbucks Customer Care can be contacted online, at email@example.com, by telephone on 020 8834 5050 or by postal mail at Starbucks Customer Care, Starbucks Coffee Company, Building 4 Chiswick Park, 566 Chiswick High Road, London, W4 5YE.