Introducing our New Standard of Latte and More

We’re excited to announce that on 14th March we will be introducing a new standard for many of our most popular espresso based drinks like Lattes and Cappuccinos.

For years, people have told us they love our coffee, and more recently we have seen a trend towards customers wanting a stronger coffee taste. For example we have seen a 60% rise in the number of people adding an extra shot over the last few years, and our Flat White which has a more intense coffee flavour has been very popular since its introduction in 2009.

In response to this customer trend, from 14th March we will be adding an extra shot of 100% Fairtrade espresso to all of our Tall and Venti sized milk based espresso drinks – as standard*.  This means that your Latte, Cappuccino, Caffe Mocha and Caramel Macchiato will now contain 2 shots of espresso in a Tall, and 3 shots of espresso in a Venti – and we won’t charge you more for it.  We believe that the Grande was just right as it was, so there will be no change to that size.

Our research told us that our customers are excited by the idea of stronger tasting coffee. Therefore after careful consideration, we have decided to introduce this change right away in all of our stores.

Whilst our standard is changing, of course we think you should have your coffee the way you want it. If you like it how it was before we’ll happily make it that way too, just let your barista know.

We’d love to hear your thoughts once you’ve tried a coffee made to the new standard, so let us know what you think.

I’m looking forward to my daily tall skinny latte being just a bit stronger—and hope you’ll enjoy yours, too.

*We will be adding more coffee to our Tall & Venti sized Lattes, Cappuccinos, Caffe Mochas and Caramel Macchiatos.  There will be no change to the following drinks: Americanos and Espresso Frappuccinos as these already come with more espresso as standard; and Flat White which is only available in the Short size.

comments (44)

Comment FAQ

• abates-cw
    • 02/03/2012 02:10

Love this news. My favourite double-tall latte is now just my favourite latte.

• zigomar06
      • 09/04/2012 10:06

In reply to: abates-cw

Lucky you!!! I didn't have the same luck as you:(
      I had a horrible experience this morning for asking for my Americano to be made to my taste. I got nearly hit by a barista and the supervisor was a spectator. I I wonder what's next. You never know with Starbucks: it's full of surprises.

• peeebeee
    • 02/03/2012 02:31

Good news I guess, but that's yet another benefit of the Starbucks Card eroded (free extra shots). I don't think it's worth loaning you the money any more.

• annemilne7
    • 02/03/2012 05:10

Oh dear Now I have to remember to ask for a single shot Latte! I like it as it is!!

• philwstarbucks
    • 02/03/2012 05:13

I agree with peeebeee as this now means that the you get less for using your Starbucks Card. Lets hope that Starbucks adds an alternate benefit to the Starbucks card very soon!

• Tottonbs
    • 02/03/2012 06:06

Great news. I have been adding that shot for years and paying extra of course.
    Also, I am a gold member but have still been charged for my extra shot.
    Thank you for the Free drink with every 15.

• peeebeee
      • 07/03/2012 08:20

In reply to: Tottonbs

A free drink with every 15 visits, remember. Other coffee brands' loyalty schemes reward you for every drink, or for the value of your spend. Not Starbucks.

• glavijeam
    • 02/03/2012 08:38
    • phpages
    • 02/03/2012 08:41

Congratulations Starbucks UK. My double tall wet latte will now just be a tall wet latte. I've been a registered card user since the scheme was launched in the UK and so I've always enjoyed my extra shot free - I wasn't too keen on hot milk with a hint of coffee. Thanks again Starbucks. Will this policy be extended in the US & Canada or will I still have to ask for a double shot over the pond?

• phpages
    • 02/03/2012 08:44

As far as eroding the benefit of the card, mustn't forget it still counts the number of purchases for the free drink reward; and don't forget you'll still get the soya and syrups FOC..

• Barry0allegro
    • 02/03/2012 10:48

Great news but I just wish you could get bigger tumblers to enjoy them in. Tall just aint big enough!!!!

• rthorne
    • 02/03/2012 16:23

I also agree with peeebeee and philwstarbucks. The Starbucks card just isn't so attractive any more. Since the new rewards scheme, I've stopped buying Starbucks beans (which I previously bought 1 or 2 bags of a week), and now tend to go to Costa more often for my drinks. At least with their card, you don't have to preload it with your money first.With the new Starbucks rewards, a free drink with every 15 misses the mark by miles. We used to get 50p off every filter coffee drink. Sadly no more.

• JennySlack
    • 03/03/2012 00:18

So what you're saying is that when I ask for one shot I will still be paying for two shots regardless! And on top of that when I ask for Soya milk because I am ALLERGIC to cows milk, you're going to be paying more for that too. Explain to me how as a customer I benefit from this......?
    Goodbye Starbucks, Hello Costa.

• Adrianjoss
      • 03/03/2012 01:11

In reply to: JennySlack

I agree with you that starbucks seem to be losing there way in customer focus.

• heluska
      • 03/03/2012 15:32

In reply to: JennySlack

You wont be paying more of course, cos you will get extra shot in your coffee for free, because now there was only one shot in a tall drink. and if you get a starbucks card, you can have soya milk for free and maybe syrup free too .. I think there are only benefits out of that .. anyway, every customer is different, so I think Starbucks is just trying to focus on customers too much, as many of them like stronger coffee .. at the end, everybody has a choice ..

• Adrianjoss
    • 03/03/2012 01:10

Well even though I am a gold card holder, I have always had to pay for my extra shot as service stations are all franchise and unable to accept loyalty card. To mean the loyalty has no benefit anymore. I am really sad to say, my loyalties are swaying towards costa, who have always had the three shot venti latte. Although costa coffee is not as consistent, the customer focus and experience is proving to be better. Howard needs to take a new look at Starbucks uk.

• airprox
    • 06/03/2012 01:05

Whilst this move doesn't affect me... I drink Grande 4 shot Americanos... I have to agree with the devaluing of the rewards card. When it started there wasn't much benefit, then I got regular emails asking my opinion of the card, we then saw the free WiFi (doesnt work half the time) and the free extras (great for me, I get my extra shot for free) and offers every now and then, but since the new system, I am a gold card holder but haven't been getting my free shots, have contacted customer....

• airprox
      • 06/03/2012 01:08

In reply to: airprox

...services who gave me the distinct impression that there is nothing wrong with my account, but should check my receipts in future.
      Anywhoo... It seems pointless loaning Starbucks 50 quid every month now... Time to support the local coffee houses.

• emrahomuris
    • 12/03/2012 01:52

I'm not a coffee person as I usually have my tea at Starbucks, and maybe hot chocolate every now and then. I've always wanted to have a decaf tea option at Starbucks as many other retailers do. Some people are banned to have caffeine by their doctors so I think Starbucks can have this option.

• jcheok2
    • 12/03/2012 08:26

This is a brilliant idea. I've always thought the drinks should give more emphasis on coffee than on anything else. I personally think it's a switch from weak coffee taste to average, not from average to strong. Anyway, it's great!

On a side note, it would be great also to bring back Tazo tea at Starbucks!

• Craigetc
    • 12/03/2012 09:53

Has the grande been made rather obsolete?

• maymayme3
    • 12/03/2012 10:28

You're going to lose a lot of business giving the unwitting customer heart attacks. The average Starbucks coffee already has double the caffeine of a normal one. Now quadruple? 4 a day is the ceiling level before it becomes detrimental to you. If hadnt read the flyer i'd have been so mad to find out that i was being double dosed.

• StudentBob
    • 13/03/2012 03:41

@maymayme3 - Close, but no cigar. Starbucks coffee has the lowest caffeine content of any coffee house in the UK according to a recent survey by Edinburgh University. The extra shot will simply bring the caffeine content closer to Costa and Cafe Nero and the like.

The reason for the woeful caffeine content is because Starbucks roasts the cr*p out of all their beans and as a result, all the lovely, lovely caffeine is burnt away and the coffee itself tastes bitter and horrible.

• Wendy4peterpan
      • 14/03/2012 02:45

In reply to: StudentBob

@studentBob. It's a little bewildering why you are going to Starbucks still then or bothering to write on their web page. Personally I hate the taste of costa and find it bitter and burnt every time. Each to their own I guess.

• Flatwhitedrinker
      • 07/05/2012 02:00

In reply to: StudentBob

I agree, the darker the roast the less caffine in the bean, starbucks coffee contains little oil as a result making a much weaker roast
      On a side note there has only been one coffee related death to date.

• Wendy4peterpan
    • 14/03/2012 02:43

I don't mind the change re the extra shot. I also love Starbucks coffee taste and how it's brewed. What I do mind is the change to the Starbucks card. When most coffee shops reward you with a free drink every 6 drinks or so, we now get rewarded every 15 drinks!! Sadly you have lost customer focus. As an ex employee from way back I can confirm the savings are not passed onto the staff for a fair wage. Unimpressed with your profits and lack of care for people. Have been looking else where sadly

• presos
    • 14/03/2012 05:42

I really like this change as I always ordered the extra shot in latte, I also share the concern over the loyalty card, because I find it a hassle to preload it.
    I have too say I love the Starbucks roast, for me it is easily the best.

• markymoo27
    • 14/03/2012 12:53

Can I have my money back for all of those extra shots I've paid for since you now agree that my coffee was weak?

• lindsayalexander
    • 16/03/2012 02:09

I'm HATING the extra shot. Please make it a request option to have it stronger.
    I always like Starbucks because it was generally weaker than everywhere else. And yes, i know i can ask for a single shot but it seems fair (and logical) that you should have to ask for more, not for less.

• shearings
    • 16/03/2012 02:52

An extra shot at last. I do like my coffee to tast of coffee, and not just all milk, but why not the grande, I will just have to keep using the card when I need that size, but at services station I will go for the tall, as i dont want to pay for the extra shot, and they dont except the starbucks card, or just go on until I find a srevice station that does Costa.

• hileena1
    • 18/03/2012 15:19

I object to getting 1 star for each purchas....not for each coffee {if one person goes and buys a couple of cups} Other places reward you with a free coffee every 6th on {or thereabouts} I've just got a card but dont think I'll be using it much.

• Saint100
    • 21/03/2012 10:07

See the rewards complaint blog has been archieve despite it still being active - way to go Starbucks now we know you really appreciate what your customers say!

• BAZ1191
    • 22/03/2012 14:38

This has been a Costa standard for ages... think there is some copying going on here!

• AngrySimon
    • 05/04/2012 01:13

Great, thanks Starbucks...now my favorite latte just tastes burnt, like every other godawful coffee shop in London!! You people who wanted it stronger...buy a double shot, thats what its for! Bring back the old latte!

• Jobell
    • 20/05/2012 12:57

I always have latte with caramel drizzle-even with my card I have to pay extra for the drizzle which makes no sense when other toppings are free!

• Stripeboy
    • 18/09/2012 02:13

Great, so you've got lattes right. What about working on cappuccinos? More exactly, can you standardise the drink? Sometimes it's frothy, sometimes it's a milky coffee. Even within a store, one barista delivers something different from another. And as for Starbucks in motorway locations .......

• Federhart
    • 20/01/2014 16:40

At my local 4s store on dove canyon rd 92127, they told me this morning a Tall latte contained only 1 shot. So I paid for 2 additional shots which seemed weird because it cost more than my occasional triple tall latte. I questioned the barista and the cashier. A gentleman employee saw my confusion and gave me a drink coupon. I wasn't upset, just very confused, so what's the correct formula?

• DiorHCL@yahoo.com
    • 22/02/2014 16:36

Has this post expired? I ordered a Venti Carmel Flan Latte with an extra shot of espresso a couple of days ago, the barista gave me a drink with 3 shots in it and charged me for the 3rd "extra" shot. Today I ordered the same drink asking the barista about the extra shot, she said that Venti espresso drinks only come with two shots of espresso. If I wanted an "extra" third shot it would be an additional .50. I told her I understood that a Venti had 3 standard shots, she said that was incorrect.

• kohlerj67@yahoo.com
      • 23/03/2014 12:06

In reply to: DiorHCL@yahoo.com

The same thing happened to me at a SB in Bethesda MD. I'm going to print out the article and take it in to the Asst Manager who told me I was wrong. I am also going to ask for a free drink coupon because as the assistant manager of the store he should know what SB policy is.

• joeynolan
    • 20/06/2014 12:19

this continues to be an ongoing issue. Roslyn Heights, NY has battled my girlfriend for too long about this. printed out two copies.

• barbaraadakin@yahoo.com
    • 02/07/2014 19:21

The location manager on duty (8:00pm) at 5960 Parker Rd, Plano, TX, Store #6250 refused to honor 3 expresso shots in a Venti Mocha, and charged for the 3rd shot. This article was shown to the manager who still refused to honor it. Furthermore, she wrote 'Robert' on the cup, when clearly I am not a man. I took offense to this being a longtime Starbucks customer.